Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sophie

After spending Thanksgiving Day with my parents, we returned home to a very sad situation. We couldn't find our 8 year old dog Sophie. She somehow got out of the backyard while we were away and she was missing. There was no indication as to how she got out. She loved to chase any animal that walked along the top of our fence...so maybe this time she managed to jump it? David immediately went to look for her with the car. It was dark and after searching for over an hour and a half he returned home without her. We hung signs, made phone calls and searched for her again the days following. Yesterday afternoon we got a call from a lady in town who saw her running on the highway Thanksgiving night near the exit closest to our house. She told us how she turned around and tried to find her but couldn't. I knew I needed to go look for her in the area this lady told me about. I found her lying in the center divide of the highway. My heart broke and I couldn't believe this was happening. We told the kids last night and Olivia was just crushed. Our friend Sean went and picked up Sophie for us and then took her to the animal shelter today. Olivia is doing better today, but she misses Sophie. The boys I don't think really understand what has happened. Matty has been working to cheer up Olivia as best as he can. Nathan asked again today, "When will Sophie come home?" Sophie was a fun and energetic dog who absolutely loved to chase a ball and that is what I will remember most about her. She was a pain at times (like a lot of pets), but that really doesn't seem to matter to me. I will miss watching her play with my kids and just being the crazy dog that she was. I really wish this hadn't happened. Losing a pet is tough on us grown-ups too. Rest in peace Sophie.
We love you.
Sophie
July 16, 2000 - November 27, 2008

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I am sorry for your loss.

Mattingly's Dad said...

Sophie,
Sometimes you really did drive me crazy, acting like a little kid. But I think that's what I'll always remember about you. No matter what, you were always happy to see us and ready to play. You would run and run and play catch until you just about died. And despite the crazy, silly things you would do (and we would do to you, in return), I will miss camping with you, going on walks with you, playing ball with you, your eagerness to eat the leftover rice, your excitement at the sight of the leash, the gentle way you always interacted with the kids, the way you jumped in and swam in the water, and most of all, the fun you contributed to our family for just over eight years. I'll miss you, Soph. Hasta pronto.

The Allingham 6 said...

We are all so sad and we know how much you guys loved Sophie. We loved her too, even when she kept us up barking in our garage at 1am, 3am, 4am and 6am when you guys were in Mexico. We'll miss Sophie's crooked tail and that excited look she'd get on her face whenever you'd play ball with her in your backyard. Pets are a pain sometimes, but we love them anyway. We are praying for all of you and for Sophie. We love you!

CharlesMarkley said...

That is horrible to lose a part of your family. I remember when she was young and you took her to Mom & Dad's house and "Sose-ie" played with Kaitlyn on the lawn, and I remember how in your old house she would bound into the living room onto the futon whenever you would let her in. We are very sad for you.

Mark & Rebecca

ShelbyBehr said...

It is such a terrible thing to lose a pet so suddenly. I'm so sorry.

emily said...

i'm so sad for you. There are tears on my keyboard. That is not something anyone would want to find. I hope you feel better soon. Love you!