Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy Birthday Derek!

Well today, our baby turned 1 year old! I really can't believe it! The first year went by too quickly for me. We had a family birthday party last Saturday at our house and we really enjoyed spending time with everyone. Derek was fantastic. He was happy on his special day and really enjoyed the time we all spent playing outside in the court. David pushed Derek around in his red car that he loves while he watched all of the cousins play with lots and lots of outside toys.

This is how Derek feels about being 1 !

Getting ready to sing "Happy Birthday" to Derek!"

Yummy, chocolate cake! He really liked it. Not really a surprise...he is my son and all.

Oooh, that mint chip ice cream is cold!


Daddy and Derek opening gifts from family. Derek loved the dollar bill he received from Grammy & Papa. He held on to it for quite a while...of course he liked putting it in his mouth...yuck.


Derek giving the gift opening a try all on his own. He really only cared about the paper.

The birthday party crew!
Tonight (his official b-day) our little family shared what we think is special about Derek. Here are the responses:
Olivia: "I really love Derek because he makes me laugh. I like when he wants to play on my bed with me at bedtime."
Matty: "I really love playing with Derek."
Nathan: "I really like going in Derek's room in the morning when he wakes up."
Mommy: "I really love the big hugs Derek gives me when I get him up out of his crib. And when he pats me on my back."
Daddy: "I really love when I come home from work and Derek crawls over to me because he wants me to pick him up and hug him."
Our baby Derek has brought so much love and joy to our family. We love him and value the sweet spirit he is!
Happy 1st Birthday Derek David!

3 comments:

The Bennett Family said...

Hi, Just hopped over to your blog! How cute are your pictures of your cute family! Hope you don't mind me checking out what the Nelson's are up to these days. Talk to you soon. ~Amy

Rachel said...

Happy b-day Derek.

Auntie Beth said...

I was so glad that I made the drive over with Grandpa. It was so wonderful to see everyone and your beautiful home. I promise it won't be so long next time. The boys want to come and swim soon! Love you-